About Me

I'm a 27-year-old mother of 3 with a full-time job that has me on the road a lot. I've been looking for a way to get myself back on track and live a healthier lifestyle. I hope you'll join me on my journey!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Kitchen Tour - Post 21 Day Fix

I wanted to share some of the changes that have come about in my house since starting the 21 Day Fix! My cupboards and refrigerator have changed significantly!

This first picture, the cupboard, used to hold chips, cookies, and sugary cereal. Now it holds muffin mixes, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, and coconut oil! Real talk though, I handed the last of the chips to my husband this morning, and there are still a couple partial containers of sugary cereal on the top shelf - HOWEVER, the chips are from a LONG time ago (and I didn't eat them), and I used to go through 2 boxes of cereal in a month, and now we've gone through maybe half in 6 weeks!





 The next photo is my refrigerator! Now please don't judge the lack of cleaning, but if I'm honest with you, these drawers and shelves used to be full of shriveled, uneaten fruit, uncleaned out leftovers, pop, and juice. Real talk: the juice is in a different refrigerator, and the fridge is now pretty empty. HOWEVER, the juice is a MUCH healthier V8 (versus Koolaid), and flavored water. Almond milk is something I *NEVER* thought I would buy, and I had never tasted Greek Yogurt prior to this challenge. Now my drawer is over-stocked with half plain greek yogurt for me, and half flavored, regular yogurt for my kids. What you can't see is the drawer full of carrots, peppers, and spinach, and the shelves with ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, and protein shakes. There are also tons of lunchables. I'm not sure where those fall on the "healthy scale" exactly, but it's lots of meat, cheese, and crackers. I figure there are way worse things they could be eating. Especially when we choose a lunchable over something like McDonald's or KFC after gymnastics.

Next up is my freezer. Yesterday Rylee and I went grocery shopping and found veggie steamer bags on sale for .99 each! What used to hold frozen pizzas, ice cream, and frozen dinners, now holds lean proteins (chicken, turkey, pork), bags and bags of veggies, wheat bread, and frozen fruit! We bought 2 HUGE bags of grapes, portioned them out, and stuck them in the freezer as snacks. I LOVE frozen grapes, and she can't wait to try them!

 

We ended up with 13- 1 cup bags of frozen grapes for snacks for about $6. Real talk: the freezer in the garage is still full of frozen pizza and burritos, but those are primarily for my husband. He's not on quite the health kick that I am, and there are many nights where it's just him, or just him and 1-2 of the kids. We aren't completely off of convenience meals, HOWEVER, my menu for the next month consists of things like turkey tacos, pork loin and veggies, chicken breasts and veggies, veggies, veggies, and more veggies! So we are definitely taking a step in the right direction.

So that's a tour of my kitchen! I wish I had "before" pictures to compare to these after pictures, but I think you get the idea! 21 Day Fix isn't just a trendy program. For me (and my family), it has been a complete lifestyle change!

No comments:

Post a Comment